There is nothing quite like a fresh coat of paint to transform your interiors, and it’s one of the most economical ways to refresh a tired looking room, but if you are not as handy with a paintbrush as you would like to be, you might need to call in the professionals.
If you want to makeover your bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, or outdoor areas, and are wondering how much it will cost to hire painters and decorators in the city, you’ll find out everything you need to know in our Complete Guide to Painter and Decorator Prices in London.
Painting & Decorating: Counting the Costs
So how much should you expect to pay to hire professional painters and decorators in London? Well, that depends on a number of factors, including:
- Where You Live: If you live in central London, and your painters and decorators need to pay for parking etc. this will bump up the overall costs.
- Accessibility: Do you live on a high floor? Will your trader need to climb stairs to access your property? If so, you may be charged a premium.
- Wall Condition: If your walls are freshly plastered and in perfect condition, then painting them will be a breeze and your decorators will be in and out in no time. If your walls are in poor condition, it will take longer to prepare them and they’ll most likely need several coats of paint, and time, as they say, is money.
- Room Size: The bigger the room, the more it will cost to paint it.
- Number of Rooms: This is one area you can save money. You’ll pay a fixed fee for one room, but most painting and decorating companies will give you a discount for larger projects, so it might be worth redecorating an entire floor.
- Material Cost: Top quality paints and wallpapers cost considerably more than budget options, and so the overall cost of the job will depend on the materials you choose.
Most professional painters and decorators will want to visit your property before quoting for any work, so ask them to bring paint and wallpaper samples with them so that you can finalise on the day and get the job done as soon as possible.
How Much Do Painters & Decorators Cost In London?
The prices below will give you a rough idea of what you can expect to pay for the services of a painter and decorator in London. This may vary from region to region, and is designed as a guide rather than a definitive pricing list:
Interior Painting Job Costs
- Painting a Small-Size Room Walls & Ceiling (2.2m x 2.5m): £250 – £300
- Painting a Medium-Size Room Walls & Ceiling (3.5m x 4.5m): £300 – £450
- Painting a Large-Size Room Walls & Ceiling (5m x 6m): £400 – £600
- Painting Hallways/Stairways: £450 – £700
- Gloss Woodwork: £185 – £400 per room depending on room size and wood condition
Wallpapering Job Costs in London
- Cost to Wallpaper a Small Room: £160 – £190
- Cost to Wallpaper a Medium-Size Room: £200 – £400
- Cost to Wallpaper a Large Room: £290 – £500
Exterior Painting Job Costs
How much your painter and decorator will charge to paint the outside of your house will depend on many factors such as the size of the property, the condition of the walls, and whether they need to erect scaffolding or not. The below prices are based on a standard 3-bedroom semi-detached property.
- Painting an Exterior Wall: £200 – £600
- Painting Entire Exterior of House: £900 – £1500
What To Look For When Hiring Painters & Decorators In London
You do not require any qualifications to become a painter and decorator in the UK, and as such, the market is flooded with unskilled traders. If you are looking for a cheap painter and decorator to refresh a rental property, and are more focused on price than quality, this may be an option for you, but if you are redecorating to add value to your home, there are certain things you should look out for when choosing a painting and decorating company:
- Trade Association Membership: Are they registered with the Painting & Decorating Association (PDA) or the British Decorators Association?
- Insurance: Are they fully insured to carry out painting and decorating jobs on your property?
- Customer Reviews: Do they have genuine customer reviews (Facebook or Google) that they can share with you?
- Home Visit & Free Quotation: Any reputable painting and decorating company will visit your home for a site inspection and free quotation. Anyone refusing to do this should be avoided.
- Clean-Up: Will they clean up after themselves? Find out before they leave you with a big mess.
- Background Check: Don’t be afraid to do a background check on any company offering painting and decorating services in London. You are allowing them into your home, and so you have a right to know if any team members have a criminal record.