The world is now more accessible than ever before, and if you are looking to improve your geography skills, or perhaps work towards a geography GCSE, A-Level, or Degree, one of the easiest ways to do so is with private geography tutoring with a qualified teacher in your area.
But how much does geography tuition cost? Here we’ll cover everything you need to know about geography tutoring prices in London.
What is Geography?
Geography is so much more than the study of countries and lands; it is a science that teaches us the fundamentals of the earth and its atmosphere. By studying geography, we learn to recognise the physical features of our planet, the distribution of populations, and the relationship between humans and the environment.
Why Study Geography?
Essential for a career in teaching, economics, environmental politics, and natural science, geography, be it physical geography or human geography, is a key life skill that enables us to use geographic perspectives to gain a better understanding of the world around us. It’s a valuable resource for intrepid travellers, and an important qualification for cartographers, conservation officers, climatologists, and landscape architects.
Studying Geography in London
There are many ways in which you can learn geography in London, and there are geography classes available to suit all academic levels, but if you are looking for one-to-one lessons or small study groups, private tutoring is the best option.
You’ll find private tutors in the city that specialise in GCSE geography and A-level geography, and highly-qualified professors who can help you achieve your geography master’s degree. Many teachers in London offer evening and weekend classes, with specialist courses in both physical geography and human geography tailored to suit your needs.
Geography Lesson Prices London: How Much Does It Cost?
Geography tuition prices vary across the country, but in London, you can expect to pay anything from £15 to £50 for one hour of geography tutoring.
The average cost of geography tuition sessions depends on factors such as level of study, GCSE, a-level, degree etc. location, and the experience of your geography tutor. Of course, a degreed professor of geography will undoubtedly charge you more for your lesson than a newly qualified geography teacher, but if they are experienced in the particular niche you are looking for, it might be worth paying the extra.
To give you a rough guide on geography tutoring prices in London, here is a list of averages based on current advertised rates:
- Degree Level Geography Tuition: £30 – £50 per hour
- A-Level Geography Tuition: £25 – £45 per hour
- GCSE Geography Tuition: £25 – £35 per hour
- KS3 Geography Tuition: £20 – £30 per hour
- Primary School Geography Tuition: £15 – £25 per hour
As a specialist subject, geography tuition prices are often higher than other subjects such as maths, sciences, and languages, although they are slightly cheaper than complex studies such as law and psychology.
Determining Factors in Geography Tuition Costs
In addition to study level and tutor experience, the following factors will determine how much you pay for private geography classes in London:
- Home or Classroom Tutoring: Will you be attending lessons or studying at home? If your teacher has to come to you, they may charge you an additional fee for their travel expenses.
- Group or Private Lessons: We all learn differently, and while some people learn much faster as part of a group, others find private lessons more beneficial. Group lessons are often cheaper than private lessons, but you don’t get that one-to-one academic support that you get with a private tutor.
- Test Prep: Are you studying for a geography degree? Do you want your tutor to assist you with test preparation? Then you should expect to pay for at least two additional hours per week.
- Location: London is the most expensive place in the UK to learn geography, but it also boasts the best geography tutors in the country. You’ll pay a premium for studying geography in the city, but you can save costs by…
- Scheduling Your Lessons
As many geography teachers support their income by moonlighting as geography tutors, you could save money by studying in the evening or at the weekend with this type of tutor.
Best Paying Jobs with Geography Degree UK
Geography tutoring prices may be high in London, but a geography degree will open many doors in terms of career options and you’ll soon reap the rewards with a high-paying job. Here are the average yearly salaries for geography-related jobs:
- Surveyor: £44,000 – £50,000 per year
- Pollution analyst: £36,000 – £40,000 per year
- Climatologist: £50,000 – £58,000 per year
- Cartographer: £30,000 – £47,000 per year
- Town Planner: £40,000 – £48,000 per year
- Emergency Management Specialist: £50,000 – £60,000 per year