Eyebrow tinting is one of the most popular beauty treatments. In fact, British women are spending, on average, £200 a year on their brows! As professional beauty treatments go, it is one of the most affordable services and saves you spending ages filling in your eyebrows everyday!
It is no surprise then that brow products are top of the beauty wish list across Britain due to how the brow can completely enhance your facial features in a matter of minutes. The figure comes form the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology, which recently polled 1,827 women over 18, to discover just how much cash we’re spending on tinting, shaping, threading, plucking, gelling and filling our brows to perfection.
Supermodel Cara Delevingne, dubbed by Vogue as “Her Eyebrowness”, is the brow icon of young women everywhere! Her oversized brows have brought brows to the masses and made women want natural brows!
And, then of course, there’s the not so natural Scouse brow and the TOWIE tattooed eyebrow. If you’re not sure what a Scouse Brow actually is, symptoms include brows that look too thick, too dark, too close together and too heavy!
So, what is eyebrow tinting?
Eyebrow tinting is a form of semi-permanent hair-dye formulated specifically for use on the eyebrows. Professional eyebrow tinting is available in most beauty salons and spas across the UK including London. You can also hire a mobile beautician.
Preparing for your eyebrow tinting
Before you head off for your appointment we recommend you:
- Do your research – pick a qualified professional near you who knows what they are doing!
- Get a patch test – get a patch test done beforehand
- Go to your appointment make up free – remove all your make up and mascara before your appointment
- Take out your contacts – remove your contact lenses if you wear them
- Know what look you are after – decide what look you are after before heading to your appointment.
Top tips for eyebrow tinting
Go a little darker as the tint will fade but not too dark. Make sure you keep your eyebrows dry so don’t be tempted to wash (or touch) your brows for at least 12 hours post tint. Also, refrain from overcombing your eyebrows as it will encourage the hairs to fall out!
What are the benefits?
Eyebrow tinting has many benefits. We all know that the eyes are the centerpiece of the face; they can literally make or break your look. Here are a few of the benefits:
- It makes your eyes stand out – eyebrow tinting can really make your eyes pop and is a relatively fast, easy and inexpensive way to make a major impact on your look!
- You can tint your eyebrows to match your hair colour – for people who dye their hair a much lighter colour, dark eyebrows can be a dead giveaway. In this situation, tinting the eyebrows one or two shades lighter is an easy and effective way to look more natural.
- You can blend away grey eyebrows – an eyebrow tint is better than plucking away stray grey hairs as it simply dyes the grey to match the surrounding hairs.
- It makes your eyebrows appear thicker – if you are fair, having darker colour eyebrows will make them appear naturally thicker. The same applies if you have thin, straggly looking eyebrows!
- It adds definition to your face – nicely shaped, well-groomed eyebrows frame your eyes, boost your facial symmetry and creates an attractive high-contrast look.
- You can spend more time in bed– instead of filling in your brows, you’ll just need to give them a quick comb. Eyebrow tints generally last for up to five weeks so you are also getting fantastic value for money as well as a lie in!
Choosing the right shade of eyebrow tint
If you want to achieve as natural a look as possible, you are advised to only ever lighten or darken your eyebrows by one or two shades
According to Bobbi Brown:
Your brow colour should match your hair colour, but if you have black hair go with a slightly softer shade such as a deep brown-black. If you are blonde, keep brows lighter but in the same tone as your hair.”
What does it involve?
After your patch test and consultation, the area around your eyebrows will be rubbed with petroleum jelly to prevent the dye from staining the skin. The tint will then be combed from the inside corners of the eyebrows to the out, using a disposable applicator. It will need about 5-10 minutes to develop before being removed with a cotton wipe.
The tint is likely to stain the skin between the brow hairs initially, making them appear darker in the first day or so than they really are.
How much does eyebrow tinting cost in London?
The cost of eyebrow tinting in London varies but you can expect to pay around £10-£15 on average.
So, go on treat yourself without breaking the bank!